Tuesday, July 21, 2015

DIY BOOKENDS.

The project I am sharing today is a very simple and easy one. I had no plans to write a post and share it on the blog. But I had made up my mind that I had to write a post today and so picked an easy one.

I made these plastic elephant bookends sometime last year.

Materials you need:
Any plastic animals of your choice
Scrap brick or rock
Paint color of your choice
Super glue
Brush

I bought these plastic elephants for a $1 each at Michaels. And for the brick, I was at Lowes for some other work and saw few scrap broken bricks in the aisle at the end of the store. I asked one of the employee if I could take couple of scrap bricks and she said I could take all I wanted. I picked 2.

I had the paint, brush and the glue on hand.
Paint the plastic animals. Give it couple of coats of paint. I gave 3 coats. You can spray paint if you want. Let the animals dry.
Apply a dot of the glue to the bottom of each foot of the animal. Place the animal on the brick and press it tight. I wrapped a painter's tape around the animal and the brick. Let the glue fully dry. I let it dry for 24 hours.  

And there you have your custom bookends in the color of your choice.
I spent less than $3 for the 2 bookends. 

There are so many variations to these DIY bookends all over the blogland. I saw these on one of the blog long ago and always wanted to have one. 
Do share if you plan to DIY one of these bookends.

Have a great rest of the week.
Reshma


Linking here:
http://www.astrollthrulife.net, http://www.homestoriesatoz.com, http://www.dwellings-theheartofyourhome.com,

6 comments:

  1. That is a cool one..
    I do remember seeing another similar idea on some other blog, where the animal is cut in half, so u have 2 pieces. The books are placed in between the 2 book ends giving the effect of an animal holding the books in between..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madhura, I have seen those half cut animal book ends too. I was not sure I will be able to do a good job at that so did not try.

      Delete
  2. I love the bright yellow! Such a fun pop of color for a bookcase, and easy and cheap enough to do on your own! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun bookends...clever!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete