Sunday, July 20, 2014

OTTOMAN MAKEOVER

I have shared most of the tweaks and makeover's I did for the family room. Today I am sharing my customized ottoman makeover.
We did not want to crowd our family room. So instead of a coffee table, we decided to go with an ottoman or an upholstered coffee table that could double as extra seating when we had company.

I had plans to DIY a coffee table to an upholstered one. After considering the cost of the coffee table, the foam and fabric, I decided to re-upholster an upholstered ottoman.
I ordered this one from Walmart. For $80, the faux leather ottoman was pretty sturdy and in the size I wanted.
It took me few weeks to finalize on the fabric. I ordered 2 yards of this Greek-key print online. I spread the fabric on the ottoman and I loved how it looked.
One Sunday, Mr. Tweaks and Sanjan went to watch a game of baseball in the City and I planned to work on this makeover.

First, I turned the ottoman upside down and removed the legs.
I did not plan on removing the faux leather neither tufting the ottoman.

Then I spread the fabric on the floor, right side down. I was watching Orange is the new black on Netflix.
Then I placed the ottoman on the fabric upside down. I wrapped the fabric from one end inside the ottoman and marked the fabric. I did this on all the four sides. Like how you would measure if you are wrapping a box before cutting the wrapper.
Once the fabric was cut to measurement, I started stapling from one side. At first, I stapled six inches apart and went around all the four sides.


I went on a second round of stapling at a distance of an inch apart to make the fabric tighter. Do you see the corner's.
At this point, I stopped clicking photos.
I cut the extra fabric in the corner exactly how you would do if you are wrapping a gift wrapper.
Once I had less fabric, I stapled the corners and screwed the legs back to the ottoman.
You can see here how the corners have been wrapped.
Upholstering this ottoman took less than an hour. And easily, one person job.
There were couple of places where I had not pulled the fabric hard enough to staple and I can see the snags. I so wished Mister was home.
Now, on to more photos of the family room.



My succulent is enjoying the sunlight. I am not worried about it anymore....:-).





The only other piece this room needs is a rug. In navy blue and white. We have plans to remove the carpets and go for Engineered wood in the house. I will wait till the carpets are removed to get the rug in. 

I am sharing few photos of the rugs from my folder I had saved. I will have to run them through Mister before I finalize. He does not like rugs with designs that are too busy.



via
via
via 
via
My expense for this makeover was the ottoman and the 2yards of fabric.
A before and after for you.

Have you done any re-upholster projects recently? How did it go for you?

Have a great week ahead.
Reshma

Shared:
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/, http://theturquoisehome.com, http://www.simplydesigning.net/, http://www.diybydesign.blogspot.ca/,

 

13 comments:

  1. Ottoman instead of Coffee table is an impressive idea.. and makeover of Ottoman came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prasanna, I read somewhere that Ottomans are the most versatile piece of furniture in any living room. Mine gets used as coffee table, as seating, rest our legs on while watching tv....

      Delete
  2. Awesome Reshma, you keep innovating, its quite a refresher to visit this space and learn new ways of refreshing stuffs and life of course..keep going..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the greek key fabric, it is gorgeous and the ottoman is such a great accent in the room. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, This was my first greek key fabric and I like it. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Love your choice of fabric. I also like the pillows on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Navy and white is my favourite combo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madhu, My school uniform for 12 years was navy blue skirt and white shirt so I stayed away from this two colors for sometime....:-).

      Delete
  6. this looks amazing, i love the whole space. the rugs are fun, but maybe a contrast color? there's so much pattern with the pillows and coffee table (which i love, all of it) but it took me ages to think in contrast, not matching. good luck, and it's truly looking amazing so far!
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, I agree with you that those rugs have too much pattern. I am still undecided about the rug. I will wait till the flooring goes on. Appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  7. Love the fabric and you did a great job reupholstering the ottoman. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring link party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete